idna-mapping update

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Dec 21 08:37:07 CET 2009

Hello Vint,

I don't think any ICANN Committee is actually suited very much for
talking about mapping. There are at least two reasons for this:

1) ICANN is mainly political, it takes technical direction from the
IETF. (if said committee is an exception, then I apologize in advance)

2) [WAY MORE IMPORTANT] ICANN is mainly concerned with registration. As
you mention, we are extremely clear on registration: NO MAPPINGS.
Mappings are an issue of lookup, and in that area, ICANN doesn't have
much interest or say, nor does it have any direct links to browser
vendors and others in a similar position.

Regards,    Martin.