Mississippi Hißes

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 15 07:33:38 CET 2009

Hello John, others,

On 2009/12/14 5:43, John C Klensin wrote:

> It is a very big deal to convert or configure a registry to work
> that way.  Personally, I have trouble believing that a registry
> would want to do it for only one or two sets of characters,
> especially so when just a few characters are involved and there
> might be reasons for treating them as separate (by contrast with
> Sharp-S and "ss", I can imagine no circumstances in a Chinese
> context under which one would want to treat a Simplified Chinese
> character and the corresponding Traditional one as different).

It's not as easy as that. In many cases, there is more than one
traditional Chinese character for a specific simplified one. In some
cases, there is more than one simplified Chinese character corresponding
to a specific traditional one.

And while there was Japanese participation in the efforts that led to
the relevant RFC(s), .jp currently does treat each Kanji separately,
without any kind of linkage between simplified and traditional forms
whatsoever.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp