Re-sending TXT form of Proposed IDNA2008 Transition Idea

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Dec 15 02:06:44 CET 2009

Hmm. We can tell we're not in San Francisco as the locus of
irresponsibility isn't registries ...

Seriously John, there are registries, and registries, from the
repurposed toys to the highly responsible, and there are registrars
and registrars, from the domainer shells to the highly responsible.

There is no benefit to a registrar, or a registry, in what you expect
of either. This is not a fault of individual registrars, or individual
registries, so when looking for root causes, try to look to
fundamental incentives. Try and complete a sentence that begins with
"Honesty towards ICANN is ..." and doesn't end "wasted effort."

I don't think it is necessary to invent a "registry service" to as the
preferred solution to registrant desires to register additional
domains. I didn't think it was necessary to invent a "registry
service" as a solution to registrant desires to synchronize the expiry
and renewal dates of domains.

It may just as well be implemented as a registrar service, and on that
distinction registries, and registrars, pay no small amount of attention.

It ICANN wants to incent registries it need only look to the registry
desire to offer IDNs. If ICANN wants to incent registrars it need only
look to the registrar desire to offer IDNs. Don't screw around playing
with the two dimes, look to fundamental incentives.

Apropos of EPP and bundling, I proposed containers, they were in XRP,
it was a natural fit for bundles, and no one else at the time thought
EPP needed anything more than a single unit transaction type.

I'm now concern with how this discussion is going.

Eric