[OT] trademarks (was: Re: Bundling)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Dec 11 19:13:23 CET 2009

--On Friday, December 11, 2009 08:46 -0800 Mark Davis ☕
<mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> Well, my authority for this information *is* an expert in
> trademark law, a past president of the International Trademark
> Association (INTA). Full disclosure: she's also my wife, so I
> pretty much have to go by what she says ;-)

Mark,

Mostly out of curiosity, would you mind asking your wife if that
equivalence is enshrined in a WIPO rule or convention or (at the
other extreme) if it is mostly local to countries that don't use
Sharp-S very much?  Could you also confirm my impression that,
from a trademark perspective, two strings that sound alike can
be considered infringing even if they are spelled/presented
rather differently, e.g., that акуву or δισνη (I hope
I've got those transliterations close enough to make the point)
would be considered problematic in certain quarters even though
there are even vaguely visually confusable with the
sound-similar Latin character strings?