Prohibiting mapping of PVALID characters

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Dec 10 05:05:16 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 05:10:42PM -0800, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> I repeat: strings do not turn into NFC form by magic. They
> are mapped by the normalization algorithm. And that mapping
> involves, necessarily, PVALID --> PVALID characters in
> this case.

Maybe there's something wrong with the definition of PVALID?  If the
initial PVALID-but-not-NFC character has to be mapped, because the
strings must all be "in NFC form", then it's hard to understand how
such a character is in fact valid under the protocol.

(To be clear, I'm not complaining about what you're saying.  You've
made much more pointed the sort of thing that was nagging at me
earlier today.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.