Bundling

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Dec 7 21:04:56 CET 2009

On 12/7/09 12:56 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:
>> So it's not clear to me if bundling of sigma and final sigma is
>> necessary.
>
> AFAIK: The only reason to bundle them would be if you presume that
> mapping is necessary, since lowercasing the Greek would be unclear in
> some cases.
>
>> Agreed. IMHO for .gr this is doubly so (they might choose to
>> bundle, but  speaking only as a reader of ancient Greek I'd say
>> there's no good reason to).
>
> Unless they want all-caps to lowercase to a word where the sigma
> wasn't clearly final (camel cased vs single word)
>
>> μεγεθοςσοφια.gr You would never have μεγεθοσσοφια.gr
>
> Yes, but when lowercasing, how would you know to use the ς in the
> middle of the string?

You wouldn't know, so don't start from upper case sigma. :) Now, I'd
assume that our friends in Greece are aware of this issue, because it's
been a feature (bug?) of Greek orthography for a long time. I think we
don't need to (or can) solve that problem here.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/