DNAME understanding

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 4 20:48:36 CET 2009

It was stated that DNAME doesn't solve mail.

Which makes me wonder if I do have two forms of a string I think users might enter (say X & Y), then is there any way of making sure that http://X works and http://Y works too?  And that mail to me at X<mailto:me at X> works as well as mail to me at Y<mailto:me at Y>?

I'm concerned that there are some International cases where this is necessary.  Some languages have alternate spellings that are common within the country. (Norwegian I think does this?  But I don't know how users behave in that environment.)  Eg: color and colour, though often the variation in English isn't that interesting to DNS.

-Shawn