Additional thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Dec 4 17:50:25 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:38:49AM -0800, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> Well, then maybe it would be better to have a separate value called
> TRANSITIONAL, but registries must not register labels with
> TRANSITIONAL characters, and clients must not map them nor look them
> up. How does that sound?

Yeah, that was sort of all I was quibbling about.  This is, I think,
very similar to Mark's original suggestion, only with a lot more
detail worked out.

The big disadvantage to it, of course, is that there _is_ a flag day
in some sense.  It's on the day the rule changes from "no register/no
lookup" to "register ok/lookup ok".  If people can live with that,
though, I can.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.