Bundling

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Dec 3 16:03:08 CET 2009

If some part of the United States government mandated that we
distinguish polish.com from Polish.com, we would politely explain that
it is too late to make such a change to the Internet.

If some part of the Chinese government mandated that we adopt the new
normalizations of the Han characters that changed after Unicode 3.2,
we might find that the impact there is much smaller, and be willing to
go along with it.

The problem with Eszett and Final Sigma appears to be that some of the
WG participants believe that it is too late to make changes to those
characters.

>> the IETF makes decisions by rough consensus and running code.
>
> Isn't that the second half of a credo that starts with, "We do not worry
> about presidents and kings"?

It is a very old credo, and some IETF participants may no longer
adhere to some parts of it.

Page 543 of http://ietf.org/proceedings/prior29/IETF24.pdf
Dave Clark, 1992

We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.