The real issue: interopability, and a proposal (Was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 2 03:22:32 CET 2009

So these 4 characters would be TRANSITIONAL, and then they’d fail completely until we’d determined the risk of breaking was low, and then we’d change them to PVALID?

My immediate concern would be the impact on ZWJ/ZWNJ.  It seems like that making those TRANSITIONAL would delay the adoption of an entire language.  I’m also concerned with the really-slow adopters.  The security risk wouldn’t completely go away, it’d just be moved to those that didn’t update their browsers in 5 or whatever years.

-Shawn