AW: Mappings - some examples

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Tue Dec 1 21:29:53 CET 2009

> Hello Mark,
>
> what about a fourth scenario?
>
> 1. IDNA2008 clearly says that ß is PVALID an shall not be
> mapped to ss anymore.

And in addition to the other problems discussed by Mark,
you can stop right there, because -- as we have been
pointedly reminded by the chair and the PVALID camp
repeatedly now -- mapping is now out of scope of IDNA2008.
It doesn't have a "shall not be mapped to ss" or any other
requirement on mapping for the sharp-s, or any other PVALID
character for that matter.

IDNA2008 just depends on implementors to do reasonable
things in applications regarding case mapping (or other
types of mapping), and as we can also see from this
discussion, we don't all seem to agree what is reasonable
in this regard.

--Ken