Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 04:11:36 CET 2009

> This is not a dialog that might only be expected on a national level.
> Illustrating this with a purely hypothetical situation -- should, say,
> the Government of Cyprus decide to apply for the Fast Track delegation
> of the full name of the country, it would not likely be happy when told
> that it this not possible because the operator of the ccTLD in another
> country where Greek orthography is prevalent persuasively advised the
> IETF that the final sigma is dispensable. This would bump the question
> up to the EU level, also calling attention to the fuller range of their
> orthographic directives.

I am NOT saying that the final sigma is dispensable, only that it should point to the same server as a sigma.  (Case mapping is a problem here too, like camel casing).  Specifically I've mentioned several times that there should be a display form that provides the desired spelling.  Surely there's no need for a final sigma and sigma to point different places at the TLD level?

-Shawn