Mapping?

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 02:45:14 CET 2009

> I don't want anything, anywhere, to suggest that I have registered three
> domains, one of which is "paß.alvestrand.no, another one is
> "PASS.alvestrand.no" and a third one is "pass.alvestrand.no".

Assuming the rules are applied consistently, then they would be clearly understood by all.  If ß is mapped to ss as in 2003, and if we continue having case mapping for ASCII, then it is clear that you have only one registered domain.

Should the rules change so that ß no longer maps to ss, then it is no longer clear.  Depending on the browser and usage it might appear that you have 1 or 2 domains.  That's part of why the rules need to be stable and applied consistently.

-Shawn