Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Aug 31 20:17:58 CEST 2009

andrew,

can it be argued that the only way a domain name containing an xn-
label could be formally registered in the DNS with upper case ASCII
present would be through violation of the IDNA2008 protocol specs? In
a strange way, while one would actually find and match such a domain
name because of DNS rules, that object, if returned with its upper
case components, would fail to convert to a proper U-label. Somewhere
in here we might want to say that such an object (an A-label with
upper ascii characters in it MUST not be registered).

does that help? we already say something like that by definitions I
think.