Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Aug 31 18:10:52 CEST 2009

At 11:37 AM -0400 8/31/09, John C Klensin wrote:
>--On Monday, August 31, 2009 17:34 +0200 Patrik Fältström
><patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
>
>> On 31 aug 2009, at 17.00, John C Klensin wrote:
>>
>>> While several of the other suggestions lead down the path to
>>> this one, it is part of the reason why I'm (slightly) in favor
>>> of a ban on trying to look up or otherwise use A-labels
>>> containing upper case characters.
>>
>> "An 'xn--' prefixed label MUST before one tries to convert it
>> to a U-label be lowercased. I.e. all ascii characters [A-Z] in
>> the label MUST be mapped to their lowercase variant [a-z] (the
>> label must be turned into an A-label) before removing the
>> 'xn--', and punycode decoding is taking place."
>
>With small editorial adjustments (which I can make), that
>formulation works for me if others are ok with it.

We are not in that much of a rush; please send the intended changes to the list for a few day's worth of review. In specific, I would need to look at the proposed change in light of the the two places in -defs and the place in -protocol that talk about case-insensitive comparisons.

My feeling right now is that, in order to reduce ambiguity similar to the type of ambiguity in IDNA2003 that is driving the IDNA2008 work, those places in -defs and -protocol still need to be changed or at leas the discussion of "case" in the comparisons needs to be removed.