Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 31 17:35:37 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:57:18AM -0400, Vint Cerf wrote:
> Andrew wouldn't mandatory lowercasing of ascii on lookup and registration be
> less prone to variation?

Well, I _think_ so, except that it basically changes the meaning of
A-label.  It used to be that A-labels were subject to the same rules
as DNS matching, and also that they were the output of a Punycode
conversion from a valid U-label.  They'll now be subject to the same
rules _plus_ the rule that they're not allowed to be in upper case.
That's ok with me, but it's fairly late in the day to be changing the
definition so completely, so I think it'd be a good idea to run
another WGLC on the resulting document.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.