Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Elisabeth Blanconil eblanconil at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 11:52:20 CEST 2009

2009/8/31 Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>:
> No I did not propose a change. I used these characters to mean that anything
> with "--" in the third and fourth character positions on the wire are
> reserved strings. V

Dear Vint,
Sorry, but obviously you did.

Elliptic or not:

- This WG is chartered to deal with "xn--". Dealing with "00--" to
"zz--", is a change indeed.
- The same as imposing lowercases to punycode is a change in the
punycode algorithm and/or ACE (impact on UTF-8 conversion?).
- The same as declaring invalid some domain names because of the way
they are written is a change in the ACE and DNS
- The same as mapping some characters (unicodepoints?) requires the
charter change you requested.

Wil is right: the whole thing does not stand well. We all know that.
We can be incremental, disruptive, messy or smart about it. We should
stay on our incremental tack. And be smart further on (interplus).
Disruptive changes on this last working minutes is messy. There are
plenty of pending issues which have not been addressed yet (except by
Harald) at http://wikidna.org/index.php?title=WG-IDNA_LC. I wish we
are done with IDNA2008 and get it published in 2010, before I am a
grand-mother.

Elisabeth Blanconil