Comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Aug 31 07:33:19 CEST 2009

I went to:

http://www.charset.org/punycode.php

and tried using it for conversions:

on input of UNICODE characters, regardless of casing, the output was
uniformly lower case.

however, the following test illustrates Wil's assertion and Paul's
confirmation:

punycode(Väter) = punycode(väter)=xn--vter-loa

punycode(VÄter) = xn--vter-loa

inverse-punycode(xn--vter-loa)= väter

but inverse-punycode(xn-Vter-loa) = Väter

It would appear that the only way for us to be sure of getting the
same thing back from punycoding of a unicode string that has upper
case (ASCII?) characters in it is to require that any undecorated
ASCII characters in the unicode string be lowercased prior to lookup
and registration.

suggestions for clarifying these effects and reasonable responses
would be helpful.

vint