Tamil Numerals in IDNA - Re: WG Last Call for Four Primary IDNABIS I-Ds

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Sun Aug 23 21:52:06 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 09:27:49AM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Or agree, as the case might be. I support all of John's response
> other than "I still haven't formed an opinion" on the other Indic
> digits; I have, and it remains like this one.

Me too.  I remain unconvinced that there should be any special
treatment of any of the digits under consideration.  I had serious
reservations in the previous case, on the grounds that in that case it
would also have been possible to do everything with registry policy;
but at least in that case the strangeness of the bidi effects made for
a compelling counter-argument.  There isn't such a counter-argument
here.

> I would heartily encourage the Tamil language community to write up
> a description of why registries should not register these digits as
> an Internet Draft with the intended outcome being an Informational
> RFC that can be easily found and widely read. I say the same thing
> to *all* language communities on any thoughts they have about
> characters for which they have more knowledge than average.

Hearty agreement again.  To the extent of my competence, I will read
and comment on such drafts should they appear.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.