Review of draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sat Aug 22 04:54:36 CEST 2009

Anchor 10 above Figure 1 indicates that the figure might be shrunk. I propose instead that the four footnotes simply be moved to immediately after the figure, which makes the figure itself fit on one page.

In Figure 2, the terms "Binary Label (including high bit on)" and "Bit String Label" are not defined and are confusing without definition. Do we need this figure at all any more?

Editorial:

. . .
   labels.  They are called FAKE A-Labels for convenience.
s/FAKE A-Labels/"FAKE A-Labels/ (to be parallel with other definitions)
. . .
      |    |  | ("??--") or R-LDH LABELS        | ______________   |   |
      |    |  |                                 | |NON-RESERVED |  |   |
      |    |  | ------------------------------- | | LDH LABELS  |  |   |
      |    |  | |       XN LABELS             | | | (NR-LDH-    |  |   |
      |    |  | | _____________   ___________ | | |   labels)   |  |   |
      |    |  | | |           |   |          || | |NR-LDH LABELS|  |   |
The second "NR-LDH LABELS" should be removed.
. . .
      |       |      ----------------------    |                       |
      |       |      | Underscore labels  |    |                       |
      |       |      |  e.g. _tcp         |    |                       |
      |       |      |--------------------|    |                       |
      |       |      | leading            |    |                       |
s/leading/Labels with leading/
      |       |      | or trailing        |    |                       |
      |       |      | hyphens "-abcd"    |    |                       |
      |       |      | or "xyz-"          |    |                       |
      |       |      | or "-uvw-"         |    |                       |
      |       |      |--------------------|    |                       |
      |       |      | Other non-LDH      |    |                       |
s/Other non-LDH/Labels with other non-LDH/
      |       |      | ASCII chars        |    |                       |
      |       |      | e.g. #$%_          |    |                       |
. . .
             (1) ASCII letters (upper and lower case), digits,
                    hyphen.  Hyphen may not appear in first or last
                    position. Less than 63 characters.
s/Less than 63 characters./63 characters or fewer./
. . .
. . .
   For IDNA-aware applications, valid labels include "A-labels",
s/valid labels include/the three types of valid labels are/
   "U-labels", and "NR-LDH-labels", each of which is defined below.  The
. . .
   Unvalidated A-labels are known only to be XN Labels, while Fake
s/XN Labels/XN-Labels/ (this form is used in other places)
   A-labels have been demonstrated to fail some of the A-label tests.
. . .
   is permitted in those contexts.  If only A-labels are used,
   differences in interpretation between IDNA2003 and this version arise
   only for characters whose interpretation have actually changed (e.g.,
   characters, such as ZWJ and ZWNJ, that were mapped to nothing in
   IDNA2003 and that are considered legitimate by these specifications).
s/legitimate/legitimate in some circumstances/