Tamil Numerals in IDNA - Re: WG Last Call for Four Primary IDNABIS I-Ds

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Aug 21 18:38:11 CEST 2009

On 21 aug 2009, at 08.22, Gihan Dias wrote:

> The Sri Lanka IDN Task Force considered the document draft-ietf-
> idnabis-tables-06.txt and has an issue with the inclusion on the
> Tamil Digits as valid IDNA characters.
>
> 0BE6..0BEF  ; PVALID      # TAMIL DIGIT ZERO..TAMIL DIGIT NINE
:
:
> However, we consider that the potential for confusion is sufficient
> that they be disallowed in the protocol, and request that they be
> excluded.

Let me add the following information to the discussion, without
stating any personal preference to whether this change request should
be accepted or not. I am at Bangkok airport on my way from Taipei to
Copenhagen...and a bit tired, but I am pretty sure I have verified
this enough to say I am correct here.

Given the current rules, and the properties in the Unicode Database,
the only way to treat 0BE6..0BEF as DISALLOWED is to add them to the
exceptions table one by one. I.e. add them to section "2.6. Exceptions
(F)" with the explicit value DISALLOWED.

     Regards, Patrik