WG Review: Recharter of Internationalized Domain Names in Applications, Revised (idnabis)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Aug 20 05:08:48 CEST 2009

The posting was for comment thomas.

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Narten <narten at us.ibm.com>
To: Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>
Cc: idna-update at alvestrand.no <idna-update at alvestrand.no>; iesg at ietf.org
<iesg at ietf.org>; ietf at ietf.org <ietf at ietf.org>
Sent: Wed Aug 19 22:15:10 2009
Subject: Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internationalized Domain Names in
Applications, Revised (idnabis)

Vint,

> we are so close to the finish line that I don't think it is worth the
> time and potential controversy to revise the charter beyond giving
> flexibility on the mapping matter.

I will certainly defer to the chairs and ADs in this particular
case.

My bigger concern is the meta issue of recharters in general, and how
the current method of just posting the new charter with no context or
explanation seems a poor way of doing things, especially if the goal
is to get meaningful community feedback. I'll followup on that on the
separate thread that has since started.

Thomas