Integration of BIDI into the protocol

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 17 17:24:09 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:14:46PM +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> The WG has rejected inter-label tests, therefore all tests defined by
> the protocol as normative (MUST or SHOULD) apply only to one label at a
> time.
>
> Given the WG decision, I tried to make the BIDI document quite clear
> that certain properties can only be guaranteed for domain names where
> all the labels meet the test, but this is a case where people have to
> read the warnings and do something reasonable, rather than having the
> rules define that being unreasonable is forbidden.

Given that I was one of the people arguing strongly against
inter-label tests, I just want to point out that the reasons I thought
they were a bad idea I still believe.  I think the way the current
BIDI document normative bits stop at exactly the right point, and I'd
be opposed to reopening this decision.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.