Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Aug 7 13:47:38 CEST 2009

Harald is asking the key question here:

> Is it reasonable to assume that there exists the reasonable desire
> to register labels that contain IDEOGRAPHIC CLOSING MARK and
> KATAKANA MIDDLE DOT, but no other Han, Katakana or Kana character?

First, I assume that it is not intended to permit Katakana Middle Dot
without the presence of at least one other Han, Katakana or Hiragana
character

Second, I assume the same would be true of the Ideographic Closing Mark

Third, I have not been able to understand the utility of allowing a
label consisting only of IDEOGRAPHIC CLOSING MARK and KATAKANA MIDDLE
DOT.

So I am as puzzled as Harald on this question.

vint