Mapping Stability/Storage (was Re: M-Label or MVALID, and dangers with mappings?)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sun Apr 12 03:26:29 CEST 2009

On 12 apr 2009, at 03.13, Mark Davis wrote:

> (2) I include http://ÖBB.at in this email message. My emailer is
> IDNA aware,
> and recognizes this as a URL. I send the email to yours, which is, I
> presume, also IDNA aware. I don't want either one to lowercase it.

I think you show a case where you can not know before sending the
email (as the domain name used in the URI is not a U-label) where the
body of the text will end up, so I would say you MUST convert it to a
U-label before sending it.

This is exactly the confusion that exist in IDNA2003 that I see we
must get away from. We must get people to use the U-label or A-label
formats when passing things around (when not knowing DEFINITELY how
the receiving side will treat the data).

    Patrik