Tables and contextual rule for IDEOGRAPHIC ITERATION MARKs

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Thu Apr 9 10:31:00 CEST 2009

On 9 apr 2009, at 09.59, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> I understand that there is a desire to add some context constraints
> for
> middle dot, but I don't understand why we need constraints for
> Ideographic Iteration Mark.

Martin, the middle dot is a DISALLOWED codepoint due to the rules we
have agreed to, that refer to the properties Unicode Consortium has
decided upon. What we try to do now is to understand under what
circumstances (if any) IETF should override the decision made by UTC
to treat it as a punctuation.

We have made such decisions for other codepoints, but the charter say
we have to be careful.

So I do not see the current discussion be strange at all.

We even add contect rules as exceptions for codepoints that where
supposed to be PVALID if we "just" took the rules from UTC straight
out of the box!

    Patrik