M-label definition

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Wed Apr 8 20:54:07 CEST 2009

At 8:34 PM +0200 4/8/09, Cary Karp wrote:
> > Under IDNA2008, with the way the documents are today, it is an
>> M-label because the "ß" character is PVALID.
>>
>> What causes you to think otherwise?
>
>I was commenting on the inapplicability of the new term to the full
>battery of codepoints that are remapped under IDNA2003 (which removes ß
>from the IDN space entirely). Since we haven't discussed any other
>mapping rules, and ß appears to be the focus of particular concern on
>this list, I suppose I was looking for some reassurance that we are
>beyond questioning its PVALID status in IDNA2008.

Two things here:

- We *have* discussed other mapping rules: see Mark's proposal from a few weeks ago at <http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2009-March/004199.html>.

- If you don't like the vagueness of the mapping rules being bandied about, and you don't like Mark's rather specific proposal, send in your own.