M-label definition

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Apr 8 11:32:08 CEST 2009

sounds about right to me, Alex.

if M (label) is the mapping function, then we are seeking to define M
and M-label such that M (M-label) = U-Label

implying that for all U-labels, M* (U-label) is an M-label where M* is
M-inverse. M and M-inverse are not unique in the event that more than
one M-label maps into the same U-label. If we allow M to include the
null mapping, as Alex proposes, then U-labels become a subset of M-
labels.

I don't necessarily propose that language above belongs in the
specifications, but I am trying for precision in understanding the
meaning of M-label.

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400