LRIs

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Apr 6 05:15:27 CEST 2009

Hello John,

On 2009/04/04 4:45, John C Klensin wrote:

> I don't know whether it is done with patches, odd localizations,
> or plugins, but at least one of the pages I found that used
> хттп:// strongly suggests to me that its authors expected
> lines to be copied out of it and pasted into a browser (even
> though they decided to not try to make them links, for whatever
> reason).  FWIW, the page is
>    http://videodom.net/index.php?showtopic=33
> if you want to look at it.

I had a look at it. I think it's far from a realistic example
for the URI scheme input problem. First, it seems to say
"хттп will have to be changed to http" just above the
list of links. Second, maybe with one or two exceptions,
all the rest of all the URIs are Latin characters, in
which case using хттп is just a hassle rather than
a benefit when typing in an IRI. Third, as you say,
these URIs are actually not links, so this further
removes these URIs from practical examples.

If anybody can have a look at the rest of the text
and give some indication of what's the point of using
хттп in this specific text, I'd appreciate.
My Russian, which never ever went very far, is
very rusty, and I don't have a dictionary handy
and don't trust translation engines.

> I believe that.  But, given that they appear in running text and
> in at least some user input, few appearances in explicit URI/IRI
> slots would indicate either that either the page creation tools
> or the page authors are a lot smarter about keeping local
> conventions local than some of the comments on this list have
> given them credit for, wouldn't it?

My guess would be that it's neither page creation tools
(which easily can be smart if they want to, but then not
all pages are created with specific page creation tools)
nor authors. It is most probably the fact that browsers
that would understand these "LRI"s (in an URI slot in
HTML, as opposed to possibly the location/address field
at the top of the browser) are either inexistent
or so rare that any related issues get caught early
enough.

It is not clear to me how long we would have such a situation
if the use of хттп caught on. It seem clear, however,
that the above doesn't apply to IDNs, where mapping is
already deployed widely.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp