Remider: BIDI inter-label tests in -02

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Sun Sep 7 22:32:11 CEST 2008

This description:

    Resolution-side: Often, we have the entire FQDN, so we ought to just
    specify that the implementation MUST check the bidi rules across all
    of the labels. However, there are situations where the client starts
    with a prefix of the FQDN, and does not know all of the labels at the
    outset. For example, a browser inside Google headquarters may start a
    lookup with "www" and then add ".internal.google.com" to it. We should
    specify whether or not the client MUST apply the IDNAbis bidi rules to
    the resulting "www.internal.google.com".

reminds me of the "search-path" option for resolvers. It is after
all these years still not decided whether such option is a good or
a bad idea. I personally think it is pretty bad, but other people
like the "user friendliness" that this can give.

Anyway, since the use of the search-path option is never settled,
I don't think it is a good idea to make the bidi processing depends
on this.

	jaap