BIDI rules

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Sep 5 09:56:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 08:41:55AM -0700,
 Erik van der Poel <erikv at google.com> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> Bidi and spoofing are both *display* issues.

Yes. And, therefore, both should be regarded as off-topic for the
IETF.

On the wire, BIDI labels have zero ambiguity.

> If we can leave spoofing out of the protocol, why can't we leave
> bidi out of it?

Do you mean "We should regard BIDI display as off-topic and therefore
stop the work on draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi" (more or less my opinion) or
"We should forbid RTL characters from IDNAbis", as some people have
understood your message?