KATS (Korean Agency for Technology and Standards)'s Comments on theUnicode Codepoints and IDNA Internet-Draft

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Oct 31 13:51:45 CET 2008

Vint,

I have put up an example at http://www.evertype.com/taisce/hangul-skrasks.png
  which may help to clarify things. As far as I can see the only
reason the jamos are proposed is because they are mathematically
possible.

Now, if I were encoding Hangul today, I would probably use ONLY jamos.
It's an alphabet, after all. And then in IDN we would be simply
banning the Old Hangul letters because of their spoofing hazards. But
that train has long since left the station. Since the 11K syllables
are sufficient (burden of proof on those who believe otherwise) they
and they alone should be permitted in Korean IDN.