Consensus Call Tranche 8 Results

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Oct 31 07:01:28 CET 2008

On 31 okt 2008, at 03.50, John C Klensin wrote:

> The choices are, therefore,
>
> 	(i) Prohibit Final Sigma, just as, e.g., "A" and
> 	Upper-case Sigma are prohibited.
>
> 	(ii) Permit Final Sigma as an ordinary character, with
> 	no mapping, and leave its handling (permit or not,
> 	variant or sunrise techniques or not) up to the relevant
> 	registry/zone.
>
> 	(iii) Fundamentally change the IDNA2008 model.
>
> I do believe that, whatever decisions are made about Final
> Sigma, Eszett, or others, that the third option is desirable.

I strongly believe you forgot a negation at the end of the last
sentence.

If not, let me just say I personally am strongly against (iii).

That said, as I have stated before I think having a document that
document suggested mappings for various applications and contexts is
something that could be good. That is though *NOT* (let me emphasize
that) the same as (iii).

    Patrik