Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Oct 16 06:00:26 CEST 2008

At 06:18 08/10/16, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>In fact, if you read the new Korean standard, KS X 1026-1:2007,
>"Part 1, Hangul processing guide for information interchange",
>that standard *mandates* that for Old Hangul syllable blocks
>a sequence of three Jamos be used:
>
>"5.2 A representation format of Modern Hangul syllable blocks
>
>"For representing Modern Hangul syllable blocks, we must use code
>positions of 11,172 Hangul syllables U+AC00 ~ U+D7A3. ...
>
>"5.3 A representation format of Old Hangul syllable blocks
>
>"For representing Old Hangul syllable blocks, we must use
>code positions of Johab Hangul letters in Hangul Jamo U+1100 ~
>U+11FF, Hangul Jamo Extended-A U+A960 ~ U+A97F, and Hangul Jamo
>Extended-B U+D7B0 ~ U+D7FF, ..."
>
>That isn't something that the UTC wrote in the Unicode Standard --
>it is what the Korean Agency for Technology & Standards wrote
>in a *Korean* standard.

This may be getting somewhat OT, but it should be noted that the
above recommendation for Old Hangul is in conflict with NFC. From
http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3422.pdf:

2) A Wanseong syllable block cannot be recomposed with Johab Hangul letter(s) to represent
another Hangul syllable block.
- an example. ?? (U+AC00 U+11EB, incorrect) ? (U+1101 U+1161 U+11EB, correct)

NFC would result in U+AC00 U+11EB, not U+1101 U+1161 U+11EB.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp