Consensus Call Tranche 7 (BiDi Model)

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Oct 15 17:31:18 CEST 2008

> I'm happy with saying "Registries that want to claim conformance to
> IDNA2008 ...

I see two problems.

First, applicants that have spent six to seven figures to obtain and
operate a registry under contract with ICANN have a very different risk
model compared to registries which operate without contract. Some ccTLD
NIC may ignore as non-binding any MUST or MUST NOT language, while it
would be somewhat risk insensitive for a gTLD NIC to ignore language
that appears in, or is referenced by, the contract that allows them to
operate a registry. IANAL, etc.

Second, is IDNA200{3,X} as capable of conformance, let alone as
important to conform (for insert your favorite motivation here,
"security and stability" is one frequently used, I'm sort of partial to
coherence and correctness, but YMMV) as 882/883 et seq?

Personally, I don't think so, but "conformance to IETF protocols ..."
fails to distinguish degrees of mandatory to actually take serious.

Eric