Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Oct 15 09:22:36 CEST 2008

Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz at denic.de> writes:

>> > (8.a) Make Eszett Protocol-Valid per list discussion.
>> >
>> > (8.b) Make Greek final sigma Protocol-Valid per list
>> > discussion.
>>
>> These should only be made PVALID *if* sufficient information
>> is added to the protocol document about the particular
>> transition and security issues involved in making them
>> so.
>
> FWIW I volunteer for providing text to the protocol doc with respect to
> 8.a

Having this text available now would influence my position on this.  I
think it is very complicated text to write.  To fully evaluate all
alternatives, I believe it also will need to compare the costs of making
the change against changing the xn-- prefix.

Wrt permanence, if we change the prefix, at least all wire-encoded IDN
URLs would remain permanent between IDNA2003 and IDNA2008.  I'm also
concerned with stable URIs.  Possibly IDNA could take the position that
it will never make backwards incompatible changes without changing the
prefix: that means wire-encoded IDN URLs are permanence-safe.

/Simon