Request for clarifications (was: Re: Consensus Call Tranche 7 (BiDi Model))

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Oct 14 07:41:26 CEST 2008

Hello Vint, John, others,

I have tried to understand exactly what the points of this consensus
call are, but I have not been able to do so. I could dig deeper in
related material, but my guess is that others may have similar
questions. So here they go:

1. Are these questions about the Bidi document, or the Protocol
   document. What I find at P.4 at
   http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2008-August/002537.html
   seems to strongly suggest that this is only about what's in
   Protocol, i.e. essentially references to Bidi and usage of
   the Bidi constraints in the Protocol.

2. Is the idea of checking bidi constraints across label boundaries
   essentially dead? P.4 seems to suggest so, but

3. P.5 is just about lookup time. Judging from Patrick's contribution,
   it's completely unclear to what extent this tranche includes
   registration.

Any kind of clarification is appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,   Martin.