Consensus Call Tranche 1 (Document Organization)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Oct 10 13:14:25 CEST 2008

Martin,

thanks for these comments.

with regard to the effort to assess consensus, if a lone voice spoke
against and there was silence otherwise, I would think we'd
reasonably conclude that we could move forward on the assumption that
those silent were in agreement. The reason I think one needs to take
that view is that otherwise a single dissenter could prevent any
forward progress. By the same token, if many speak in favor and few
against, it might be reasonable to take this as indication of rough
consensus. One problem with working via mailing lists is that the
expressions are often somewhat lopsided insofar as those who disagree
are more likely to express themselves than those in agreement. Hence
an effort to encourage both views to be expressed and also to assume
that no response is an indication of agreement.

For a practical case, the first tranche proposing to adopt the
rationale document as it was presented, does not appear to have rough
consensus  (at the end of this day, we will have "final" data for
this round of expression).

vint

NOTE NEW BUSINESS ADDRESS AND PHONE
Vint Cerf