Normative diffs

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Oct 7 22:51:35 CEST 2008

--On Tuesday, 07 October, 2008 16:18 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
<ajs at commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 03:45:53PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
>> 	(3) For those who want to keep Protocol as compact and
>> 	free of non-normative material as possible, that goal is
>> 	a case against moving Rational Section 9.1 to Protocol
>> 	or for making it an appendix if it is moved (just as the
>> 	actual tables are an appendix to the Tables document,
>> 	segregating them from the normative rules).
>
> I think this appendix suggestion is a splendid one.

Of course, the counterargument is that this explanation of
differences, however informal, is vitally important to what you
describe as the "registry implementers", perhaps even more so
than to "protocol implementers".

And, fwiw, I think there is, sadly, a third audience who are
those concerned with "Internet Governance" and/or "Domain name
policy".  There is some overlap between them and the "registry
implementers", but they have appreciably less skin in the game,
even stronger opinions, and, historically, are much less in
touch with DNS reality.