No subject

Tue Nov 18 23:43:20 CET 2008

.
However, the "permanent" interopability issues outlined above are bound to
"taint" labels with an "=C3=9F" for an indefinite period of time, with the =
most
sensible option to disallow registration completely to avoid those problems=
.

I think it's not very likely that all vendors agree on a single mapping -
particularly with the WG scope of not dealing with a mapping as part of the
protocol. However, i'd like to propose the following:

- add text to Section 5 of idnabis-protocol that says

        "characters that are PVALID MUST NOT be subject to mappings".

Or (more focused)

        "characters that are listed as Exceptions (F) in Section 2.6
         of [tables] MUST NOT be subject to mappings"

I'm not sure whether that contradicts the "local matters" part in Section
5.1 (and i'm pretty sure it creates problems elsewhere), but i think it
solves the "permanent interopability" problem outlined above. That means
that "=C3=9F" stops working during the transition period, but also means th=
at it
can be treated as an independent character *after* the transition - bundlin=
is not required, Mr Weiss and Mr Wei=C3=9F can both have their distinct dom=
ain
names, etc..

Is that a way forward? Comments appreciated.

Alex