Rationale-05, Protocol-07, Defs-03

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Nov 28 20:28:18 CET 2008

Hi.

I've posted new versions of these three documents.  They reflect
comments captured during last week's discussions, plus the
extensive reviews done by Mark Davis to which my responses to
him in the last few days were addressed.  With one exception,
called out in the Change Log for Protocol, I do not believe that
any of the changes I've made are substantive rather than
editorial and similar minor corrections to or improvements of
text.

>From my point of view, given the nature of these changes and the
discussions last week, the key question facing the WG is how
much further we think it necessary to keep fine-tuning the text
of these documents.  My sense is that we are getting into the
stage at which relatively small improvements will involve
relatively large amounts of discussion and time.  I'm sure there
are those who disagree but I'd like to understand what they
would consider as an appropriate stopping rule or guideline.

For the unlikely few who have wondered about why I've been
silent on other issues facing the WG, I decided to put other
things aside until I could get these versions out.   I hope to
catch up over the weekend.

best,