Follow-up to Monday's discussion of digits

Alireza Saleh saleh at nic.ir
Tue Nov 25 02:42:22 CET 2008

Hi,

I read the TR9 again, according to my understanding the only difference
between AN and EN will happen only if :
You have a RTL run(start the run with R)  then having strong LTR
character(s)  (L) ,followed by none or any Neutral character(s)  and at
the end :

1) AN ES AN or
2) EN ES EN,

so the complete run would be  like :

1) R L N AN ES AN or
2) R L N EN ES EN,

then you will see the difference between EN and AN.  The  numbers around
the ES will be displayed switched  in case of AN or EN.

Please keep in mind that having both L and R in a label is prohibited by
IDNA bidi, also it is not possible to start the label with numbers
according to the current BIDI spec. therefore this difference doesn't
affect the IDN.

example 1)
تست.test.۴-۵

example 2)
تست.test.٤-٥

Finally I totally support any action to relax the IDNA so I support
removing the rule about mixing numbers in BIDI.
As I said earlier taking care of the visual confusions are registries
policy and responsibility, and it depends on the percentage of risk they
want to take. Some registries like it more secure some may like it more
relax.

Alireza