Tables: BackwardCompatible Maintanence

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Thu Nov 20 06:07:06 CET 2008

In short:
1. There is no change to the algorithm.

2. Implementers already must get the context table from the IANA site in
order to implement IDNA2008. This would just mean that they'd also have to
get the Backwards Compatibility table at the same time.

3. Instructions to IANA would be roughly:
a. At each new version of Unicode, regenerate the tables (we already want
them to do this).
b. If any character that was PVALID according to the previous table becomes
not PVALID, then add it to the Backwards Compatibility table.

Does that help?

Mark