Follow-up to Monday's discussion of digits

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Nov 19 05:57:20 CET 2008

John - I understand that we want to avoid combinatorial explosion.
But your mail below doesn't explain why the restrictions can't
simply be made by registries.

I do see nothing in the current documents (nor in IDNA2003, for
that matter) that would forbid registries to have a policy to
restrict registrations in a single label to any one series
of digits, or to some desirable (and hopefully non-confusable
and therefore non-exploding) combination of series of digits.

Given that I do not see anything prohibiting or making impossible
such a restriction, I do not understand why we would have to
take an "enabling" (as you mention below) steps.

Regards,     Martin.

P.S.: According to a document I have received years ago, the
      Iranian registry, for the