KATS (Korean Agency for Technology and Standards)'s Comments ontheUnicode Codepoints and IDNA Internet-Draft

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sat Nov 1 01:47:51 CET 2008

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> So just add the range U+1100..U+11FF to the tables
> document as DISALLOWED and be done with it.
>
> Oh, lest I forget... you won't *quite* be done with
> it. Assuming that the tables document and the rest of
> the IDNA protocol documents are finally completed this
> year or early next, be prepared to start the revision
> of the tables document next year, because there are
> two more blocks of Old Hangul jamos coming in
> Unicode 5.2: U+A960..U+A97F and U+D7B0..U+D7FF,
> courtesy of a character encoding request from KATS.
> One of the reasons why I wanted to treat the exclusion
> of jamos as a policy issue, rather than something
> baked into the tables document for the protocol was
> precisely because we haven't heard the last of jamos.
> Those two blocks will be arriving in Unicode 5.2, and
> there is always the possibility that some historian
> of Old Hangul may yet find a few more that need to
> be added in the indefinite future to the standard.

I trust that all "lead" jamos will get the "Hangul_Syllable_Type"
"L", all "peak" (vowel) jamos will get "Hangul_Syllable_Type" "V", and
all "trail" jamos will get "Hangul_Syllable_Type" "T", also for the
new additions in this area.

See http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/HangulSyllableType.txt.

So this particular exception, and I agree it is an exception,
can be based on a Unicode property and the values L, V, T for
that property. (The precomposed Hangul syllables have values
LV and LVT for this property.)

	/kent k