Punycode & IMA/EAI

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue May 20 19:33:59 CEST 2008

> Hard to predict.  If I have an IDN mail domain that contains
> characters for which I don't have an IME (or don't know how to
> use it), and happen to have the A-label(s) handy, I might prefer
> to use them.

"Having the A-label(s) handy" is asking a lot :)  IMHO I think most normal users wouldn't happen to have it handy.  I think that most people that need ASCII support will ask for an ASCII alias of some form (both for the local and domain part), which is much more useful than an punycode label.

The end users of these protocols aren't technical geeks, they're sales guys and teachers and kids and parents.

- Shawn