looking up domain names with unassigned code points

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed May 14 22:46:03 CEST 2008

    If this is true, this is a very disappointing outcome -the .SU
    operators are certainly damaging our general efforts to make the
    Internet a less confusing place in which to operate.

Actually, I take it to be butchered English more then anything else.

    > but on April 28th, the .SU TLD registry began accepting the
    > registration of subdomain labels beginning with xn-- without requiring
    > them to be valid output of the Punycode algorithm:
    >
    > "A user or service provider can either design software used for
    > decoding and decoding algorithm on his own or use PUNYCODE algorithm

What more likely is, is that people can roll there owm implementation of
the algorythm.

    > recommended by ICANN and published in RFC documents."
    >
    > 	http://www.fid.su/english/?newsid=1207819620
    >
    > One purpose of allowing non-IDNA-compliant alternatives appears to be
    > to permit script mixing:
    >
    > "In the process of generation of domain names with xn-- prefix using
    > encoding algorithms mentioned in RFC documents registrators are not
    > allowed to mix symbols of different national alphabets."

Note that only ICANN have said anything about script mixing. It is
allowed in idna2003. And this paragraph can also be read as a statement
that the su regsitry does not accept mixed cases.

	jaap