looking up domain names with unassigned code points

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun May 11 19:28:53 CEST 2008

At 18:20 11/05/2008, Vint Cerf wrote:
>If this is true, this is a very disappointing outcome -the .SU
>operators are certainly damaging our general efforts to make the
>Internet a less confusing place in which to operate.

Dear Vint,
the only issues for a ccTLD Registry Manager (and any zone registry
manager) are that (1) users get the names they want (pay for) which
do not violate ccTLD (or zone) Manager's rules, and (2) ICANN does
not interfere with national sovereignty (cf. WSIS) about ISO 3166
related language TLD strings. Everything else is in user applications
and best practices realm and can/will be handled as the users think
it is the best for them.

The only real issue of common interest, because it affects different
applications and the Web (hence W3C, Unicode, IETF) is the display issue.

It would be interesting to try to register "xn--vint-cerf.xx" in each
top level registry.
1. to see how many would accept it today.
2. as you know this kind of A-Label name, the U-Label can be
registered as TM, is dubbed a "Babel Name". A topic I have with the
WIPO for years which creates a real IP problem.

jfc