Archaic scripts

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Fri May 9 17:21:57 CEST 2008

Hi Lisa,

I agree that there is no bright line between upgradable and
unupgradable software, but if we choose to say anything about this in
the RFCs, it would probably just be a recommendation, to nudge things
in the direction of better interoperability. In a sense, *all* RFCs
are just recommendations, made in the hope that they will maintain or
foster interoperability, right?

There *is* a bright line between protocols that only support LDH- and
A-labels and those that support U-labels. For example, there is a
draft that aims to specify how things would be done in SMTP (with
U-labels). If a mobile phone manufacturer would like to burn the
program in ROM, they can have the mobile phone deal with LDH- and
A-labels only, leaving U-label translation to the software on the
mobile carrier's ("server") side.

Of course, this bright line was crossed by the HTML browser and
plug-in developers shortly after IDNA2003 stabilized, even though
there are clear warnings in the RFCs about IDNA-unaware domain name
slots. Shame on those early developers.

However, no matter what we write or don't write about unupgradable
software, I still recommend that we allow pieces of software that
receive Punycode labels to look them up in DNS, without having to
decode them and check for DISALLOWED, CONTEXT*, etc. This allows those
pieces of software to remain unchanged and still work, even if an
unassigned codepoint is assigned, a contextual rule is changed, etc.
I.e. better interoperability.

This puts the onus on those that attempt to convert Unicode labels to
A-labels for registration or lookup, and those that attempt to convert
Punycode labels to Unicode for safe and unconfusing display. This is
as it should be.

Erik