New version: draft-ietf-idna-tables-01.txt

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:05:34 CEST 2008

Patrik Fältström wrote:

> Here is the new draft, with new definition of UNASSIGNED, and a
> changed algorithm so that the result is what we have agreed to
> (UNASSIGNED is checked for much earlier).

Likely you did - as noted I'm unhappy with flagging numerous code
points as UNASSIGNED when we already know that they never will be
anything better than DISALLOWED.

Minor nit, you lost 10FFFE and 10FFFF at the very end.  Are those
CJK COMPATIBILIBITY code points as you want them, some PVALID,
some DISALLOWED ?

Generally, I don't see why reviving Linear B for the purpose of
domain labels thousands of years since it was used is a good
idea.  You also can't do much with the one PVALID PHAISTOS DISC
COMBINING OBLIQUE STROKE if the rest of the Phaistos Disc block
is DISALLOWED.  Similar Lycian, Carian, Old Italic, Gothic, Old
Persian, Cypriot Syllables, Phoenician, Lydian, Cuneiform, ...

The DISALLOWED Mahjong tiles could be more fun than these old
scripts for the purpose of internationalized domain labels.

Is there no chance to kill the complete 0Exxxx plane ?  Or at
least u+0E0000..u+0E0FFF as in I-D.duerst-iri-bis-02, you have
only the bare minimum, assigned tag and variation characters,
as DISALLOWED.

Starting with unassigned => UNASSIGNED might be good to find all
PVALID and CONTEXT? later, but it is a poor way to get as much
DISALLOWED as possible.  (Of course you know this already, it's
just that I don't like the outcome, who is going to implement
this huge table in small devices ?)

 Frank